Tips for Candle Safety in your Downtown Chicago Area Home
Candles may be pretty to look at and provide a great fragrance in your home, but they can also be a cause of a house fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, 3 out of every 5 candle fires start when things that can burn are placed too close to the candle. Here are some tips that you should follow for candle safety:
- Blow out candles before leaving a room or going to bed
- Keep candles one foot away from anything that can burn
- Use a sturdy candle holder, that will not tip over easily
- Put candle holders on a sturdy and unclutter surface
- Light candles carefully, keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame
- Do not let the candle burn all the way to the bottom; put it out before it gets too close to the container or holder
- You should not light a candle if oxygen is used in the home
- During a power outage, use a flashlight or battery-operated lighting instead of a candle
Remember candles are an open flame which means they can easily ignite. As an alternative, consider using flameless candles.
If you have any additional questions about fire or smoke damage, please feel free to contact SERVPRO of Downtown Chicago at (312) 888-7378.